More Great Ways to Save Money
Last week, we started a list of the highlights of AARP's 99 Ways to Save Money. Here are a few more this week.....
- Celebrate your birthday with free eats! Who doesn't want to eat free? The website Thrillist has a list of 75 major food chains that offer free items on your special day. For example, KOBE's restaurant offer up to $30 off an adult meal with the purchase of another adult meal during your birthday month. Plus, they bring a cupcake and sing to you while you wear their cool chef's hat!!
- Buy dryer balls instead of using fabric softener. Dryer balls reduce wrinkles and control static cling without the extra cost or chemicals. With a small upfront investment, you can save $20 a year on fabric softener (the cost of about two big bottles).
- Buy bulk movie tickets. Tickets can cost $12-$14 at the theater. You can buy 10 tickets shipped free from Costco.com for $91.98 - that's a savings of over $35.
- Have your computer search for savings. Honey (joinhoney.com) is a free extension you add to your web browser. When you shop online, click on the icon and it searches for coupons. For example, while shopping for a refrigerator at Sears, Honey found a code for an extra $35 off!
- If you car is driven under 5,000 miles a year, ask your insurer for a low-mileage discount. The average savings is $92 a year!
More ways to save coming next week. For the complete list click here.